Friday, September 21, 2012

What Makes Me Go Awwww...

Last night, before I headed off to my Advil induced sleep I was stumbling on Firefox and I came across the cutest pictures of a joey and wombat sharing a pouch. 


 Now, if you know me well, you know I LOVE wombats...I think they're just so freakin' adorable!  Well, this morning I did some digging and I found out these two were rescued by an organization called Wild About Wildlife.  They were formed after the horrible Black Saturday bushfires that burned across Victoria, Australia in 2009.  Over 2,000 houses were lost and 173 people died as a result of these fires. 

But not only human beings were affected by that fire, scores of animals lost their "homes" that day as well.  Many of us in the US remember this picture that ran in our news.  It still breaks my heart but, at the same time, gives me hope that there are people out there who want to protect and help animals.


The great people at Wild About Wildlife took in those orphaned or injured animals and worked to rehabilitate them so they could be released back into the wild.  Though the fires were back in 2009, their journey has not stopped as they continue to care for injured roos who have been caught in fences or hit by cars and other orphaned/injured wombats, birds and bats.

My favorite has to be Peggy the wombat.  She's got a new playpen as she's becoming more active at night. You can check out a video of her antics on their Facebook page.



There are also some great pictures of wombats DJ and JoJo, which can't help but make you smile. I mean, don't you think Monty would love these two as play mates?




They've got quite the number of residents at the sanctuary and could absolutely use our help.  Please check out their Facebook page and you'll see all these wonderful photos there as they absolutely do not belong to me, though I wish they did.

What speaks to me the most about these pictures and about the work Wild for Wildlife does is that this type of work is the one thing I could do in life that would be absolutely perfect for me.  I think I'm a good lawyer but really I would LOVE to do animal rescue as I think it would make me the happiest in life.  But, I've got student loans and other bills to pay, so I guess I'll have to do it on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment